Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In May of 2007, I was diagnosed with a form of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. After undergoing chemotherapy (CHOP) from June through October of that year, the disease went into remission. After a consultation with another oncologist in March, 2008, a round of radiation as well as two more intrathecal injections of chemotherapy into my spinal fluid (I'd already had one) were ordered. The disease continued to be in remission until the early summer of 2009. What began as muscle pains in my calves quickly progressed to weakness and limitation of movement in my lower legs. I then saw my family doctor and a neurologist who began treateing me for neuro-muscular problems. The treatments did not help and eventually I had constant pain in my feet and could only walk with great difficulty and a cane. A stay at St. Rita's hospital in Lima led to more tests and scans which, while not showing obvious signs of lymphoma, nonetheless showed signs of inflation within my spinal chord. I was given a more aggressive approach to the pain with increases in pain pills and lost a lot of the mobility I had due to the relative inactivity I had while in the hospital. I was released but the pain only increased and the mobility decreased until Kim and I decided (with the urging of caring friends) to drive to Cleveland and check into the Cleveland Clinic's emergency room for treatment there. The more advanced nature of the tests and scans given there showed that the cause of the neurological issues was that my NHL (non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma) had recurred within my spinal chord. This is a very serious condition and the Clinic responded with entering me into a series of chemotherapy (R-ICE) and more injections of chemo into my spinal fluid. After one treatment of each of those, an Ommaya reservoir (a shunt of sorts allowing injections of chemo treatment into my spinal chord fluid instead of using lumbar punctures for each one) was surgically implanted. I was released from the Cleveland Clinic on Friday, August 28 and re-entered St. Rita's in Lima, this time into their acute rehab wing for more intense work recovering as much strength and movement from my lower legs as possible and learning how to use various devices I may now need (wheelchair, walker, etc). They're really not sure what, if anything neurological, will be reversed as treatments continue.

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment